The BBQ Pulled Chicken recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago has gotten rave reviews. So, I’ve decided to give you a spin-off of that recipe. I think you’ll like it just as much! If you’ve been reading, you know that I love using my crock pot. I call my crock pot the “domestic wife” in our family, because she always has a meal ready when we get home from work (or at least near ready).
As mentioned, this is a spin-off of the BBQ Pulled Chicken recipe I talked about here. If you missed that recipe, then I’ll give you a minute to read that post and catch up…….Ok, now that we are all on the same page, I’ll go on.
Things You Need (serves 6)
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (from the crock pot)
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra salt to sprinkle
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream and guacamole
- Olive oil (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- Optional, additional ingredients; black beans, corn, jalapeños, green peppers, tomatoes, or whatever you fancy.
Note: I’ve used a package of fajita seasoning to season the chicken mixture in the past when I didn’t have the seasonings mentioned above. It was great too!
- Take chicken from crock pot and shred. Instead of adding the BBQ as mentioned in the BBQ pulled chicken recipe, put the shredded chicken in a sauce pan along with the salsa, green onions, cumin, salt, and oregano. This is where you would include any additional ingredients you choose. Cook for about 10 minutes or until warm.
- Heat about ½ tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat, sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Place one tortilla in pan. On half the tortilla layer cheese, then chicken mixture, then more cheese. Fold the tortilla in half to cover the cheese and chicken.
- Watch the tortilla closely because it will cook fast. As soon as the first side is golden brown, flip the entire quesadilla to cook the other side. Once both sides are golden brown, remove from pan.
- Slice quesadilla and top with guacamole and sour cream.
- Repeat for each quesadilla. Enjoy!
Note: I cook mine in olive oil to give it a nice crispy texture (oh, so yummy). However, you can also heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Psst…one more tip for my time crunching readers. Cook enough chicken in the crock pot for both recipes. Divide the chicken after shredding and put half in the fridge for later. Make the BBQ pulled pork one day and the quesadillas another. The meat will be ready throw in the pan with the other mexican-like ingredients. You have two super quick meals for the week. How great is that?